Ok, maybe celery is not one of those vegetables that you think has much to offer... Maybe you walk right by it in the grocery aisle, or maybe it always ends up in the bottom of your vegetable bin in the refrigerator... But I think you might want to give it a second glance when you discover some of it's healthy benefits. (If nothing else, it's a good place to smear your almond or peanut butter) :-)
Here's 5 reasons to give celery a chance next time you do the shopping!
1. It's high in nutrients and fiber and low in calories. For those of you that like to have something to crunch on sometimes, but are trying to cut down on calories, celery is a great choice. It's also high in vitamin C and contains folic acid, potassium, vitamins B6, B2, B1 and calcium as well.
2. It has phytochemicals that are protective against cancer. These phytochemical compounds are called coumarins, which have been shown to help prevent cancer by enhancing the activity of white blood cells.
3. It can lower blood pressure and cholesterol. Celery contains 3-n-butylphthaline,(3nB), a compound that has been found to lower blood pressure. How much do you need to eat to reap the benefits? Just 4-6 stalks a day.
4. It's beneficial for people with fibromyalgia, arthritis and gout. The compund 3nB, has also shown promise as a pain reliever. During one 12-week study out of University of Queensland, Australia, 15 subjects suffering from osteoarthritis, osteoporosis or gout, received 34 mg of celery seed extract twice daily. After 3 weeks of taking the celery seed extract, the average reduction in subjects' pain scores was 68%, with some subjects experiencing 100% relief from pain.
5. It helps replenish electrolytes. Instead of grabbing a sugary drink after a sweaty workout, a long run, or an illness, replace those lost electrolytes with celery. Ideally, if you have a juicer, make celery juice which is rich in potassium and sodium.
So the next time you are stocking up on your veggies, don't walk by the celery! It makes a great mid-day snack or addition to salads, soups, juices and a great alternative to chips when you are looking for something to dip into your hummous or guacamole!
That's it for now,
Until next time - "LIve Now-Live Well!"